GunForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the gun enthusiast

Current Quote
"There never was a good knife made of bad steel."
~ Benjamin Franklin
Recent Topics
Tagging
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Is a Mitchell's Mauser a bad choice for a collecter?        (Topic#10219)
flydfan
Probationary Member
07-24-09 10:10 AM - Post#83320    

I am wanting to get a nice K98 with its original markings. The ones they sell at Mitchell's Mausers are great looking, but seem too good to be true. I've read some people say that they re-stamp their rifles so they have "original" markings. Is this true? I think most of the stocks are not authentic, but what about everything else on the gun? If I were to purchase on of the more high dollar Mausers, can I expect authenticity? If you have any personal experiances with Mitchell's Mausers, please share how it was. Thank you guys for helping out the new collector and board member!

Dieter
Shooter/Master Member
07-27-09 01:18 PM - Post#83457    

In response to flydfan

No experience with them, but I have heard similar things to what you've heard as well.
Dieter

DPris
Shooter/Member
07-28-09 06:17 PM - Post#83536    

In response to Dieter

If you want a shooter in near-new shape, the Mitchell's are do-able, if high priced.
If you want a collector piece, I'd look elsewhere.

I bought one of their Yugo 48s a while back, knowing up front I could find it elsewhere for less money, but it & I came together at a moment where I didn't want to do the legwork to chase another one down.
Great shape, but I didn't acquire it as a collector gun.

Denis

Hipshot
Shooter/Master Member
09-03-09 12:37 PM - Post#85215    

In response to DPris

Very bad for a collector. Mitchell's pretty much destroys any collector value. Not even to mention their misleading advertising.
Taurus 66&454 Casull, DW Razorback 10mm, Walther P-1&FN Hi-Power 9mm, Springer M1911A1 .45, CZ52, CZ82,Browning Buckmark, SIG P229, and them's just my pistols!

Bigdaddy
Moderator/Master Member
09-04-09 08:01 AM - Post#85247    

In response to Hipshot

For a collectible gun - forget Mitchell's Mausers. If you want a true K98 German WWII gun, go see my friend Don at www.rcarms.com; he has some really nice guns. He has a few guns that started life as German guns, captured by the Russians, refurbished and issued to the East Germans, then given to the Iraqis! Talk about some history. Don's prices are very reasonable as well.
Tim Hecht www.iwantthatknife.com

Hipshot
Shooter/Master Member
10-04-09 07:19 AM - Post#86196    

In response to Bigdaddy

I got a nice K98 from SOG with Nazi markings still intact for less than $250.
Taurus 66&454 Casull, DW Razorback 10mm, Walther P-1&FN Hi-Power 9mm, Springer M1911A1 .45, CZ52, CZ82,Browning Buckmark, SIG P229, and them's just my pistols!

Edited by Hipshot on 10-04-09 07:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jpw
Probationary Member
10-14-09 11:40 AM - Post#86504    

In response to flydfan

Since I was a young child and my grandfather showed me his BAR he brought from the Pacific I have had an interest in military firearms. I was looking for a German Mauser and did a lot of research, including reading all the negative posts on various web sites about Mitchel's. I purchased a nicer one. Over the last weekend I was at my city's biggest gun show and lesser quality rifles than the one I ordered (from a historical standpoint) ranged from $1500 to $2500. (and were not for sale) They sell them wholesale (Mitchel's)and I think a lot of people don't like that. And so far as them being fake, I have broken the gun down and have a really hard time believing that. (relative to fraud stamps etc.) The days of going to our local military surplus dealer and finding rifles like this caked in Cosmoline for $100 are over. My hunting rifle is a sported Spanish Mauser that was done by Golden State Arms (Pasadena CA)in the 50's to 30-06. If you are interested in having a real WW2 German rifle, you can get one there. And they clearly charge different for the ones that ARE NOT. (Yugo's, whatever)

jpw
Probationary Member
10-14-09 12:17 PM - Post#86505    

In response to jpw

Also I am fairly much familiar with machining processes relative to the military. Specifically military aircraft, but metal is metal. I have never come across any process to “fake” stampings in this manner. At the recent gun show I was at you could find crappy condition German K98K’s, obviously less than the same price Mitchell’s sell’s them at.

vrabinec
Shooter/Member
10-15-09 06:52 AM - Post#86526    

In response to jpw

I'm not sure why you'd get a replica when you can get the real thing:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item...

If I was going for something new, I'd go in a different direction like one of those sporterized models that don't cost as much. Just seems like you're paying for some bells and whistles that don't have any true value. Just my opinion, of course. To each his own.

savageman270
Shooter/Master Member
11-05-09 01:33 PM - Post#87156    

In response to vrabinec

I have a sporterized one I found for $200. Still shoots straight and has the bnz mark on the receiver.
The Soldier's pack is not so heavy a burden as the prisoner's chains. Dwight Eisenhower

Louis C
Shooter/Master Member
11-08-09 05:59 PM - Post#87318    

In response to savageman270

No!
The ones at Mitchell's Mausers are FAKES.
Not collectible at all.

Their 'certificate of authenticity' is a bunch of garbage too. None of it really says that it is a true German made Mauser made for Germany during the war.

Most if not all, are scrubbed M48s or K98 captures that they cleaned up, restamped etc etc.

They are good shooters though, and if I found one for that price, I might buy it.
Now rated G for everyone!

Edited by Louis C on 11-08-09 06:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PAConstable1
Shooter/Master Member
11-08-09 08:54 PM - Post#87325    

In response to Louis C

Believe it or not I even own one.

I picked it up at a Cabelas that wasn't sure exactly what they had but knew enough too be sure it wasn't a WWII K98.
Paid only $200 for it.

Very accurate and very smooth.

And the way they polished the bolt and covered all the metal work with a really glossy bluing the thing sparkles so brightly in the light I gotta wear shades just to take it out of the safe.
School teaches us the Precious Metals are Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium.
Life teaches us they're really Brass, Copper, Lead and Steel.

Louis C
Shooter/Master Member
11-09-09 04:07 PM - Post#87405    

In response to PAConstable1

Well, for $200 you can't really go wrong.

Now rated G for everyone!

Bigdaddy
Moderator/Master Member
11-22-09 01:14 PM - Post#87965    

In response to Louis C

$200 for a Mitchell's Mauser, for a shooting rifle is good. If you are looking for a collector gun - don't go Mitchell - they have a phrase that applies to Mausers that aren't right (counterfeits, frauds, forgeries, fakes) tht word is turd. Mitchell Mausers and their advertising are turds.

billt
Shooter/Master Member
11-25-09 02:47 AM - Post#88040    

In response to flydfan

These are both of my Mitchell's Mauser's. I'm very happy with both of them. They are beautiful rifles, and both are very accurate. If you want a really nice, clean shooter, Mitchell's provides this. Both came with all of the accessories and matching bayonets, all in like new condition. Bill T.

billt
Shooter/Master Member
11-25-09 02:51 AM - Post#88041    

In response to billt

These are some of the accessories that were included with the rifle, as they were packaged. Bill T.

PAConstable1
Shooter/Master Member
11-27-09 09:14 PM - Post#88089    

In response to billt

The original Mitchell Mausers advertisment implied that the rifles they were selling were WWII German, but in actuality they were post WWII manufactured Yugoslovian M48s.

The problem was that Mitchells was charging up to $500 for some of these "German" rifles.

At the same time M48s, placed directly into long term storage immediatly after manufacture and never issued, were being sold as M48s for as little as $125 in some cases.

The M48, the last example of the military mauser ever produced, are very fine rifles and I wouldn't hesitate to recommand them to anyone.

I just hate to see people delibertly overcharged as a result of "QUESTIONABLE" advertising practices.

However, in Mitchell Mausers defense I would like to say that since quanties of actual German WWII K98s have become available through the former Soviet Union the company has cleaned up its act.
It is currently selling actual "reconditioned" WWII weapons and not post war versions.
Although I still think they charge too much.
School teaches us the Precious Metals are Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium.
Life teaches us they're really Brass, Copper, Lead and Steel.

billt
Shooter/Master Member
11-28-09 01:14 AM - Post#88091    

In response to PAConstable1

• PAConstable1 Said:
At the same time M48s, placed directly into long term storage immediatly after manufacture and never issued, were being sold as M48s for as little as $125 in some cases.

Only partially true. Before I purchased my 2 Mitchell M-48's I attended dozens of gun shows here in Phoenix looking for a couple of M-48's like you've just described. I found none that even came close to the condition of the Mitchell's rifles. A lot of these rifles had pitted bayonets, and any of the leather accessories were in very poor overall condition, if they had them at all. Here is a good example of the "non Mitchell" M-48's out there:

http://www.classicarms.us/

If you carefully scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page you will see what I'm talking about. This is in no way meant to be a slam at Classic Arms. I have dealt with them and they are an honest, reputable company. You can tell from the description, these guns are not perfect. The best of the lot, ("excellent-hand select"), runs $200.00. That is only slightly less than I paid for my Mitchell's guns. Also you will notice even the "excellent" guns come with no accessories. Those are sold separately for an additional $30.00. By the time you add it all up you're getting close to the price range of Mitchell's, for a gun that is O.K., but not not even close to the rifles I've shown photos of.

It's totally up to the buyer, and what they're looking for. I was looking for the cleanest shooters I could find. I was not concerned about "historical significance". Mitchell's provides the cleanest Mauser's you will ever find, along with all of the complete accessories the guns were originally issued with, nicely packaged at an affordable price. For people looking for a nice looking, good functioning, accurate Mauser, you will find just that in a Mitchell's. Bill T.

Bigdaddy
Moderator/Master Member
11-28-09 09:26 AM - Post#88096    

In response to billt

Mitchell's Mausers claim that the guns they sell are near new, a previously undiscovered "cache" of WWII guns...Bull manure. Another great line is:

• Quote:
The Yugoslavians had already been producing Mauser rifles at Kragujevac, Serbia, with which they had armed and trained the entire populace in order to repel any new invader. So, when a short rifle was needed in a tank, the logical choice was a short Mauser. Everybody was already trained to use the K98/M48, which is operationally identical to the new Tanker and uses the same 8mm ammunition.
These M63 Tankers are brand-new rifles produced with all new parts, using modern materials and methods. A foreign government had placed an order with the Serbian factory, but had failed to take delivery. Mitchell’s was able to contract for the entire lot and bring it to the United States market at the very attractive price of only $495.

This "tanker" mauser is made just for Tatu on Fantasy Island; it is truly a fake because in the real world this gun was never made...

billt
Shooter/Master Member
11-28-09 10:51 AM - Post#88098    

In response to Bigdaddy

These rifles are clean, accurate, shooters. PERIOD. Why do you people have such a difficult time accepting that? I could care less what THEY, or YOU say they are, or should be. If I pick up a rifle, and I'm pleased with it's looks, and how it shoots, what else is there to care about? They can claim the stock was rubbed to a beautiful satin luster in between Eva Braun's crotch, and it still changes nothing. You guys need to get over it. Geeeze! Bill T.

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.321 seconds.   Total Queries: 312   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 05:12 AM