"Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost"
~ Robert Frost
Recent Topics
Tagging
Username Post: .22 Long Rifle chamber pressure        (Topic#2048)
Bountyhunter
maximus
08-23-05 03:02 AM - Post#13938    

What is the chamber pressure of a .22 Long Rifle? What are the industry standards for this cartridge?

You will be amazed.

How does the pressure of the .22LR compare to other common loads?

I will give you a hint......it is in excess of a .45 ACP+P.

Check it out. The point being, the .22LR is not a low pressure load, and may not be safe in some guns.

B
Anytime you buy something that is not "Made in USA", you are helping to outsource American jobs.

LaVelle
maximus
Re: .22 Long Rifle chamber pressure
08-23-05 07:41 AM - Post#13939    

In response to Bountyhunter

Quote:

The point being, the .22LR is not a low pressure load, and may not be safe in some guns.

B

I agree with you on that. A .22 short will blow the early .22's to Hell and gone. I saw one similar to this reduced to a few pieces from a .22 short
History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.~ Napoleon Bonaparte

LoudGuns
maximus
08-23-05 09:19 AM - Post#13940    

In response to LaVelle

That is very interesting, I never though a bullet that small could do damage like that.

floydoleary
09-26-05 05:13 PM - Post#13941    

In response to LoudGuns

I am new here but have been on KF for a few years. I spent six years with the Marine Corps and have competively shot M-1A , M-14 Military and .45. I spent time with a recon group just around 1960 , Until 1964. My time was outside of V/N and worked as a corpsman, for a team as well as competent second in line with tacticle and logidtal training as well as other specialties.
Business- yes the man is correct about the .45 and .22 pressures. I was in Idaho,about 60 miles below the lake to visit a corps friend of 45 years now. we had purchased some Aguila .22 30gr HP to give a try as well as sixty gr. I use a Browning take down .22 with a wide view 4x leoplod scope. I find this ammo to be reliable , accurate and devistating on game Fist wer feral cats mean little buggers and not small. They had infested part of a prefab home into the underside insulation. These bullets do not exit head or body shots the prey just fold up. Head shots they flop a bit. Fifty yard shot on a 25lb cayote same result.These make 1780 on his chrno and the pressures we were told by a factory rep at a show was near 25000 cup. I belive a 230ball in .45 makes 17000 so maybe with the newer powders they might be about the same with a GS 185+p.

Bed time
Be well
Floyd

Bountyhunter
maximus
09-27-05 11:03 AM - Post#13942    

In response to floydoleary

Yepper, Floyd, you are right.

The .22 pressures up around 25,000. Old guns or guns whose actions dont lock up tight can be turned into fragmentation grenades.

Lavelle, how come you didnt knock the mud dauber outta that gunbarrel before you let them shoot it?

B
Anytime you buy something that is not "Made in USA", you are helping to outsource American jobs.

LaVelle
maximus
09-27-05 11:59 AM - Post#13943    

In response to Bountyhunter

Quote:

Yepper, Floyd, you are right.

The .22 pressures up around 25,000. Old guns or guns whose actions dont lock up tight can be turned into fragmentation grenades.

Lavelle, how come you didnt knock the mud dauber outta that gunbarrel before you let them shoot it?

B

I didn't know he was going to SHOOT it. I tried to buy it when he found it but he didn't want to sell. Was in pretty decent shape too.
History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.~ Napoleon Bonaparte

lastsonofgilead
maximus
12-28-05 10:52 AM - Post#13944    

In response to LaVelle

Question: A poster mentioned in this thread, pressure values at 25000 'cup'. What units are those?

The standard unit of pressure measurement is the Pascal...sometimes written as Pa or kPa (for Kilo-Pascals).

Were you guys saying that the .22LR chamber pressure is near 25000 Pa?

For those of you who don't remember, pressure is Force divided by Area. So 1 Pa = (1 Newton / 1 Square Meter).

In this case, we are talking about the surface area of the shell casing, from primer to slug...whic is sooo much smaller than a .45acp shell...it makes sense that a .22LR shell could generate more chamber pressure.

Thanks.

Chris.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

locutus
12-28-05 12:06 PM - Post#13945    

In response to LaVelle

Chris,

"CUP" refers to "copper units of pressure." It's an outdated measurement in which a copper "crusher guage" was measured after firing a round in a special chamber. It was useful for reference purposes only.

Today, most ballistic labs use a piezoelectric device that measures in PSI or pounds per square inch. But the old "CUP" is understood (and used) by most older shooters, and will, unfortunately, be around for a while.
Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you.

My heros wear dog tags

lastsonofgilead
maximus
12-28-05 05:28 PM - Post#13946    

In response to locutus

Wow, thanks for that very informative reply.

Interesting...I'll see if I can find a picture of one of those devices.

Thanks.

Chris.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.513 seconds.   Total Queries: 182   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 09:08 PM