and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost"
~ Robert Frost
Recent Topics
Tagging
 Page 1 of 3 All123
Username Post: Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U Review.        (Topic#2847)
lastsonofgilead
maximus
02-17-06 03:53 AM - Post#22503    

Hello shooters.

Well, my Mossberg Intl. Silver Reserve O/U in 12ga just arrived last night. Because a few people were interested...I'll be posting a review here.

A picture of the shotgun is here: Trap shooting thread (scroll down for picture)

Mine looks just like the picture, to the smallest detail.

Here is my initial review:

Fit and Finish: The overall quality of the parts fitting together, and the mechanics seem very good. Parts move smoothly, nothing grinds, and the shotgun is mechanically sound based on inspection. The engraving is clearly done by hand...and is very nice for a $500 shotgun.

Manufacture: Made by Klan shotguns in Turkey, imported and warranteed by Mossberg Intl.

Design:

Weight: 7.7lbs

Stock measurements: LOP 14 ?" - DAC 1 ?" - DAH - 2 ?"

Barrel: 28" O/U with removable choke tubes and dual extractors. Jewelled monoblock.

Chambers: 2.75" and 3" magnum, chrome plated bores.

Selector: Integral safety and barrel selector.

Trigger: Single trigger, 3.5lbs pull for each barrel.

Rib: Vented Rib, single bead front sight.

Receiver: CNC machined aluminum, tolerances are tight.

What I would change: I will have a mid-bead installed for quicker sighting.

Problems: There is a known design flaw which causes about 90% of these shotguns to be severely damaged in stores by idiots who don't read the manual. The problem is that when the firing pins are extended, if you install the barrels without retracting the pins you will dent the lower chamber quite severely. This is caused by dry firing the shotgun with the breech open, or by releasing the internal hammers during breakdown and not retracting on reassembly. The WIN101 had this problem too, but the firing pin would snap off. On this shotgun...the pin is stronger than the chamber lip. As long as you make sure the pins are retracted when the breech is closed (which you only have to worry about if the gun is dry fired open) you will *never* have to worry about this problem.

Overall I am very happy with this shotgun for the money...if it can hold up to a few thousand rounds of use I will consider it a *very* good buy in an affordable O/U.

Some reports have been issued of customers having problems as soon as 400 rounds...and other reports have indicated that they have gone more then 2000 rounds with no sign of trouble.

It has a one year warrantee...so I will shoot the hell out of it this year and we will see how it does. I have a good feeling though.

More to come after my first round of trap tommorow morning

(I am joining the University of Illinois Trap and Skeet club, as they take non students.)

Best.

Chris.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

First_Sergeant
maximus
Re: Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U Review.
02-17-06 09:33 AM - Post#22504    

In response to lastsonofgilead

Awesome. I have the SxS I could be happy adding this gun to the collection from what you wrote.

budocon2
maximus
02-17-06 09:48 AM - Post#22505    

It seems you have a fine over & under shotgun. I look forward to your range report. Best of luck.

Walter
Live Free or Die!

Strider
02-21-06 12:33 PM - Post#22506    

In response to budocon2

Congrats on the MSR,
Hi I am 15 years old and new to the site. I purchased a Mossy silver reserve about 3 weeks ago. Like you said if you read the manual there should be no problems with the firing pins. (I bought snap caps just in case) So far so good on my 4th round I busted a 24. (in trap obviously) I am looking forward to the state shoot and hoping for a repeat of last year to the nationals. (in Sparta Illinois for a change.) Good luck and congrats
Strider
If you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in English thank a soldier.

budocon2
maximus
02-21-06 02:08 PM - Post#22507    

In response to Strider

Welcome to our forum. I hope you win your "state shoot."

Walter
Live Free or Die!

lastsonofgilead
maximus
02-21-06 05:23 PM - Post#22508    

In response to budocon2

Welcome to the forum Strider

Glad to hear another good experience. I like mine..and if it holds up to a lot of use, I will be really happy with the purchase. The fit and finish is very good for a $500 shotgun.

Best of luck with the competition.

Chris
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

First_Sergeant
maximus
02-21-06 11:06 PM - Post#22509    

In response to Strider

When would that shoot in Sparta be? I have a friend in Ava, may have to make a day of it.

Strider
02-22-06 05:46 AM - Post#22510    

In response to First_Sergeant

web page The nationals are in August thats about all I know here is a link...
Strider
If you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in English thank a soldier.

First_Sergeant
maximus
02-22-06 08:37 AM - Post#22511    

In response to Strider

Great, Thanks!

lastsonofgilead
maximus
Range Report.
02-25-06 06:32 AM - Post#22512    

In response to First_Sergeant

Hello all.

Well, I just finished up my first day of trap shooting with my new SR. I shot three rounds and spent a lot of time watching the better shooters to gain some tips.

The shotgun performed flawlessly. It is a very flat shooting field gun, so you have to lead the target (vertically) more than with a dedicated trap gun.

It was my first time shooting trap ever, and there was about 20mph of wind. My first round I shot (embarrased) a 3/25, second was 5/25 and my last round was a 12/25.

It felt really good to hit 1/2 of the targets on my last round...and I'm sure that I will improve with practice.

Overall, I am very happy with this shotgun. I will update this thread again once I hit the 500 and 1000 round marks...to let you guys know how she holds up.

Best.

Chris.

Strider
Re: Range Report.
02-25-06 10:41 AM - Post#22513    

I also shot today in 25 mph wind! It was like shooting wobble, kind of fun actually. Anyway I hit a 21 and 22, halfway through my third round my gun didn't fire. I assumed it was the shell so I loaded an extra from my vest. Neither worked even after a 3rd attmept. I was forced to use the bottom barrel. I feared a broken firing pin, which wouldn't make sense because I always have either snap caps or a an actual shell in the barrel. Anyway, I took her to Gander mtn, and the gunsmith took it apart and said it was the sear (however you spell that.) So, they are gonna send her to Mossberg and get it fixed. I am very unpleased with the malfunction there is simply no excuse. All I hear about is the firing pins breaking (even when handled properly) and now this. This means I am out $30 for shipping plus can't shoot for 4-5 weeks. I wrote Mossberg and it will be interesting to see their reply. Lesson of the day, if something is too good to be true (the price of the gun) it probrably is!!!
Strider

lastsonofgilead
maximus
02-26-06 04:41 AM - Post#22514    

In response to Strider

Sorry you had troubles...I hope that this is not a widespread problem. Also...I wouldn't trust Gander Mtn. 'gunsmiths' to touch any of my firearms...just my $0.02.

Be sure to let us know how this turns out for you. Sorry for your trouble.

Best.

Chris.

Strider
02-26-06 06:25 AM - Post#22515    

I know what you mean, however the gunsmith at Gander Mtn, is highly experianced he knows what he's doing, he has an extremely good reputation as a gunsmith in this area. Some stores like MC Sports etc are iffy. Thanks for the tip though.
Strider

lastsonofgilead
maximus
02-27-06 04:29 AM - Post#22516    

In response to Strider

Strider.

If you know your guy you have nothing to fear. I have just heard a bunch of horror stories about the gunsmiths at such places. Hope it all works out for you. I have read reviews of these shotguns with well over 2000 rds through them without a hitch...chances are that Moss will just send you a new one.

Best.

Chris

lastsonofgilead
maximus
02-28-06 04:24 AM - Post#22517    

Strider.

One more bit of info: I have done a LOT of reading lately, about our SR. Your experience worried me, so I did a lot of homework. From what I understand, Khan (the manufacturer of the SR) did a big rework on the SR in 2005 to correct some problems. The biggest one they addressed was the firing pin issue, which is the problem you experienced.

Supposedly, the newer 2005-2006 models do not have this problem. Since Mossberg does not have the capacity to service the SR, they have a policy of just replacing them when they come back for warrantee issues.

So...you will probably get a new SR and it should not have the same problem. I'm betting yours was made pre 2005.

Best of luck.

Chris.

budocon2
maximus
02-28-06 05:18 AM - Post#22518    

I hate to tell you this and I hope nothing ever happens to your over/under, but I ordered a barrel from Mossberg and it took over 3 months to arrive.

Walter
Live Free or Die!

lastsonofgilead
maximus
02-28-06 05:38 AM - Post#22519    

In response to budocon2

Ouch...three months is a lot.

I am getting the impression that Moss and Moss Intl are different entities...somehow linked by ownership.

Lets hope for the best.

Chris.

Strider
02-28-06 10:43 AM - Post#22520    

Okay, right now I am hoping they will send me a new one. If they do and the problem is fixed I will keep it. The gun fits me good and I can't complain with the results, but I don't want it to bust on me again.
If they repair it and send it back to me I will probrably sell it, it was a 2005 edition and I don't want to keep paying for shipping the gun (to get it fixed) and the inconveniance. If I sell, I am either going for a Baikal (once made by Remington Spartan finally put their name on) or a 870 Wingmaster Trap, or a bps lmtd edition trap. The Baikal is ugly but built like a tank, the 870 is more than I would like to pay (I don't want a used gun ya never know how many rounds they have been put through) and the BPS is a little expensive although if I sell I will probrably try to go for the BPS. I don't want to pay for shipping, but Gander and Cabellas don't carry the trap edition of the BPS.
Thanks for the help!
Strider

lastsonofgilead
maximus
02-28-06 11:10 AM - Post#22521    

In response to Strider

No problem. I got a bunch of my info over on shotgunworld.com and most everyone I found that had one returned for service received a replacement, new in the box.

Best.

Chris.

Strider
02-28-06 02:39 PM - Post#22522    

Cool me too!
What is your username on shotgunworld? I am claybreaker25 (notcie the posts about the Baikal and best gun under 500

Page 1 of 3 All123
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.129 seconds.   Total Queries: 323   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 01:49 AM