GunForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the gun enthusiast

Current Quote
""Be more prompt to go to a friend in adversity than in prosperity."
~ Chilo"
~ Chilo
Recent Topics
Tagging
Username Post: How far can you hear gunshots?        (Topic#5749)
Astrobouncer
Probationary Member
06-17-07 03:42 PM - Post#46350    

Hi gang. Just a quick question for ya. I live in the foothills of Blue Ridge SC, have lived here about 6 years now. I have some land around my house, about 6 acres. Oftentimes I hear gunshots around my land and I was just wondering if I can hear the gunshots like that, should I be worried about them? One time the gunshots sounded so close I literally hit the ground thinking some hunter had mistaken me for a deer in my backyard.

How far away can you hear a gunshot? And am I worried needlessly? My land is mostly open field but theres some woods right behind it and thats mostly where I hear the gunshots from.

Regolith
Shooter/Master Member
06-17-07 06:28 PM - Post#46354    

In response to Astrobouncer

Hard to say. The distance a sound can travel depends on a lot of factors, including atmospheric conditions, terrain, and vegetation.

In my experience, it seems like all of the gunshots I have heard off in the distance have all originated within 2 or 3 miles or so. However, my experience isn't necessarily accurate, as I do a lot of hunting in mountainous terrain that can amplify or deflect/muffle sound, depending on my position and the position of the other hunters.

Now, whether that is a problem depends on what type of firearm and ammunition is being used, as well as the direction its being shot.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

My Blog

cbn620
Shooter/Master Member
06-18-07 02:42 PM - Post#46370    

In response to Regolith

That's a tough one, really. I've always lived in urban areas, so when I hear gunshots, it's usually bad news. If you are hearing gun shots that make you hit the dirt and you have 6 acres, I would almost say with some degree of certainty someone is shooting on your land. Being a city boy, that would pique my suspicions and I'd have to go out, fence the land, and post PRIVATE PROPERTY and NO SHOOTING signs all over.
I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse.

Regolith
Shooter/Master Member
06-18-07 03:17 PM - Post#46371    

In response to cbn620

• cbn620 Said:
That's a tough one, really. I've always lived in urban areas, so when I hear gunshots, it's usually bad news. If you are hearing gun shots that make you hit the dirt and you have 6 acres, I would almost say with some degree of certainty someone is shooting on your land. Being a city boy, that would pique my suspicions and I'd have to go out, fence the land, and post PRIVATE PROPERTY and NO SHOOTING signs all over.

6 acres isn't really all that big. My grandparents own a farm in Western Oregon that is 75 acres, and I can usually hear the sound of people hunting ducks down on the river which runs along the length of part of the property.

6 acres is about the same size as six or so football fields.

Basically, just because he's hearing gunshots doesn't mean they are originating from his property.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

My Blog

Edited by Regolith on 06-18-07 03:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

c_matt92
Shooter/Master Member
06-19-07 07:03 AM - Post#46390    

In response to Regolith

To see how far gun shots travel in your area, I would go out to the gun range. Start somewhat close to shooters and walk slowly away (preferably behind them). You might be surprised at how far away you can hear shots. I agree that six acres really isn't that much land between you and them, and you probably weren't on the far edge yourself.

Another thing to consider. When you heard the shots, was there a pop right after? Bullets flying over your head are going faster than the speed of sound, so the make their own "sonic boom" even though it isn't very loud. It sounds like somebody shot a popgun. If you didn't hear that, I wouldn't worry to much. If you did, hit the ground and shoot back.

Bear_Down
Shooter/Master Member
06-19-07 03:31 PM - Post#46405    

In response to c_matt92

I would post signs just to be on the safe side. as pointed out the terrain will make a big differance as while as the thickness of vegitation(tree's).
in my neck of the woods you can hear a 300mag on the back side of a mountain because it will reverb off of the vally walls.

burden
Shooter/Master Member
06-20-07 10:44 AM - Post#46422    

In response to Bear_Down

I don't know about south carolina but up here where I live very hilly and lots of vallys I know I can hear the echos of rifle shots up to 8 miles or so maybe even further you know when your being shot at when you hear it tumbling in the air around you (yes this happened to me that is why I don't hunt anymore) you can tell how close it is for the most part by the way it sounds if it is mo muffled it probley is off in the distance but if you can hear the "crack" of the bullet leaving the barrel if is relitivly close

id0317
Shooter/Member
06-20-07 11:48 AM - Post#46425    

In response to burden

It would also depend on the gun. Some guns are louder than others.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.628 seconds.   Total Queries: 152   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 06:47 AM