GunForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the gun enthusiast

Current Quote
""Be more prompt to go to a friend in adversity than in prosperity."
~ Chilo"
~ Chilo
Recent Topics
Tagging
Username Post: Breakdown sniper rifles?        (Topic#6156)
dannywiseman
Shooter/Master Member
09-10-07 08:36 AM - Post#49432    

I have seen a few breakdown sniper rifles in movies and even fewer in real life. I wonder if anyone is making a real breakdown sniper rifle that can repeat its groups at distance after more than just a few assembly cycles. I think this would be a neat addition to the arsenal.

I will add this . A few of the rifles I have seen would seem to just remove the rear portion of the butt stock from the pistol grip. Begging the question: Could this configuration (given a shorter but not illegal barrel) be seen as an illegal total length rifle? Just a thought.

c_matt92
Shooter/Master Member
09-11-07 05:59 AM - Post#49486    

In response to dannywiseman

Break down rifles will never be a good choice for sniper rifles. A true sniper rifle is extremely accurate and the fact that you take the rifle apart and put it back together means you lose some of that accuracy.

ryanM82
Shooter/Master Member
09-18-07 02:22 PM - Post#49918    

In response to c_matt92

on the contrary my friend. Take down "sniper" rifles are quite effective. Accuracy International, HS Precision, Rifles Inc. as well as a endless list of custom manufacturers are producing these "sniper" rifles. If you want to get serious, the barrett m82a1 (m107) is considered a take down, as well as the Armalite AR50, the Cobb Mfg. FA-50, Knights Armament SASS. Takedown is a loaded word though. if you want something to snap together like in the movies, get your checkbook out, theyre out there and cost a ton!
May your magazines remain full, your helmets firmly atop your head, and when you die, may you make it to heaven one half hour before the devil knows your dead...

Eggers11B
Probationary Member
09-19-07 02:39 AM - Post#49946    

In response to ryanM82

What is a "breakdown" sniper rifle? A rifle you can take fully apart, or something else? If it's just one you take fully apart to do maintance on, most all are anymore, Barret .50s are, SR-25s and most all AR types are, etc. And being able to take it arpart fully doesn't take away from it's Accuracy at all.

dannywiseman
Shooter/Master Member
09-19-07 04:46 AM - Post#49951    

In response to Eggers11B

They are pretty cool though. Even if not quite as accurate at 3000 meters, but then again that wouldn't be the point of such a rifle. the point of such a rifle would be to use it's size to better infiltrate your targets perimiter so that it can be used at closer ranges. While I admit this feature would have very limited use as a civilian. It would still be pretty cool. Maybe if you liked to mountain climb then hunt from the tops of mountians for prong horn and the like.

Eggers11B
Probationary Member
09-19-07 05:41 AM - Post#49956    

I never haerd of a rifle that can hit a target 3000 meters, the Barrett .50 can over 2000 meters, a Spec Ops team hit a target over 2400 meters, but 3000 maybe, but doubtful

dannywiseman
Shooter/Master Member
09-19-07 09:00 AM - Post#49962    

In response to Eggers11B

It may have been an exaggeration on my part but it was to drive home the point that the this type of rifle isn't intended for the extreme range crowd.

ryanM82
Shooter/Master Member
09-19-07 09:38 AM - Post#49967    

In response to Eggers11B

check out the .338/50 Talbot and the .50 FatMac Google those big boys. 3000M intended window of use! Kaboom!
May your magazines remain full, your helmets firmly atop your head, and when you die, may you make it to heaven one half hour before the devil knows your dead...

leprachuan45
Shooter/Master Member
09-19-07 11:56 AM - Post#49972    

In response to Eggers11B

I have heard from a friend of a friend that their is a 20mm sniper rifle that's being put through the paces and sounds like its a very long range gun but I don't know what range that entails. I know it could be a complete line of bull, but my buddies never given me a reason not to believe him. And the guy that told him that is a recently retired marine recon sniper so take it as you like.

Eggers11B
Probationary Member
09-20-07 10:29 PM - Post#50021    

In response to leprachuan45

2400 or a little more is a very long range for any type rifle, and the Barrett .50 is intended to be a long range rifle, I don't see the need to shoot much more than that. YOu show me a rifle fire over 3000 meters, till then I'm not too sure. I have gone through Army sniper school, and that is a hard target to spot let alone get the right readings and hit.

imp
Shooter/Master Member
09-21-07 02:21 AM - Post#50027    

As a newbie to a lot of this gun stuff, as many other viewers are doubtless also, I find a need to understand better what factors really affect the accuracy, or change the accuracy, of a long-range firearm.

If a long-gun cannot be "taken down", then I presume it's accuracy is built-in by it's makers. I heard a lot about AR-'s back in the 90's being custom built with something they called "free-floating", what, barrels, or front grips. Never understood the claims of this greatly increasing accuracy.

So what determines accuracy, or lack of it? imp

Today, no place exists on the face of this Earth devoid of regulations imposed upon human freedom. (anonymous)

Anonymous? No longer possible. Information Revolution has seen to that.

dannywiseman
Shooter/Master Member
09-21-07 06:02 AM - Post#50030    

In response to imp

The long lived .50 cal could be a thing of the past with the new Cheytac M-200. They reportedly hold the world record with a 16.5 inch group at a little over 2300 meters. Not bad for a round thats litteraly half the size of a .50, and yet maintains supersonic velocities past 2200 m. Not to shabby. neat rifle system. I want one, you know. In case of, um, something big.

locutus
09-21-07 07:37 AM - Post#50047    

There's also the .416 Barrett. A .50 BMG necked down to .416, and supposedly a super-dooper-whooper "two counties over" gun.

But let's face it, if you need to shoot over 600 yards, call in an airstrike or artillery.

The new 155MM will shoot one hole groups all day long at 20,000 yards.
Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you.

My heros wear dog tags

dannywiseman
Shooter/Master Member
09-21-07 08:25 AM - Post#50056    

In response to locutus

MMMMMMM! Don't even have to cook the deer that way.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.531 seconds.   Total Queries: 230   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 06:07 AM