GunForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the gun enthusiast

Current Quote
"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace"
~ Amelia Earhart
Recent Topics
Tagging
Username Post: Low Down on the Rem. 552 BDL Deluxe SpeedMaster        (Topic#6547)
BulRdr
Probationary Member
11-22-07 03:14 PM - Post#52841    

I've bein looking at the Remington 552 Speed Master's and really like them but i've also read a few reviews on the ruger 10/22. Can anybody tell me a lil' bout the rem. compared to the Ruger.

Jess
Shooter/Master Member
11-23-07 01:03 AM - Post#52852    

In response to BulRdr

First I'd say welcome to the forum. Then I'd say, save your money and get the Ruger. I own a Speedmaster and am disappointed. Initially, I had it 2 days and "new high tech" finish began to peel off - soooo took it back and got a different one. Accuracy is only so-so. I bought it because charging handle is on left side of reciever and son is a south paw. If righties use it have to be careful or hand may catch charging handle in operation. It looks pretty, but is really no better than lesser cost models out there. Go with the 10/22 - accurate with lots-o-options.

Sharpshooter
11-23-07 06:13 AM - Post#52861    

In response to Jess

Remington has been making the 552 Speedmaster for a long time, since 1957 to be precise.

It's the ONLY American Made Semi Auto .22 that handles Short, Long and Long Rifle Ammunition. They are reliable accurate rifles but like any .22 they do prefer some ammo to others.

I had one many years ago, it was a great rifle but mine preferred .22 LONG ammo over anything else but did pretty well with standard velocity. A good friend of mine had the twin to mine which was most accurate with CCI Stingers or Remington "Yellow Jackets."

Both rifles were ultra reliable.

Frankly, I've grow tired of the 10-22, it's like a belly button, everyone has one and while it's a good rifle it's not the ONLY rifle on the market and I've never seen one out of the box that was a tackdriver, accuracy is decent but there's a reason for the plethora of aftermarket barrels.

You aren't going to go wrong with either rifle but given a choice I prefer the Remington.
Wisdom is Knowledge Shared

Sharpshooter Sheath Systems

Jess
Shooter/Master Member
11-23-07 08:36 AM - Post#52872    

In response to Sharpshooter

I understand your point. I still must maintain that mine leaves something to be desired. It is finiky with ammo. So far, Remington Golden Bullet HP is most accurate out of it. Upon disassembling first time, I noticed some corrosion on inner parts. I wondered if it was assembled with old parts. I have heard of "factory seconds" out there. While it does take all the "old" calibers, Longs are no longer made and Shorts cost so much they are not practical if you can even find them. It is a $400+ rifle but accuracy was not that good really. I thought perhaps with the chamber accomodating all 3 sizes, it was perhaps a looser headspace compared to rifles chambered only for longrifle. I've only shot 1 10/22 rifle before but it was much more accurate than this higher priced model.

Sharpshooter
11-23-07 09:02 AM - Post#52874    

In response to Jess

Headspace is the same for all three of the .22 rimfire cartridges.

There is a difference in leade when you shoot the shorts or longs and that could have some effect on accuracy but face it, a semi auto .22 isn't intended to be the top of the accuracy pile.

As far as rust on internal parts, it's entirely possible that the rust occurred long after the rifle was built. We don't know when your rifle was produced or how long it sat in some trailer at a distributor before it was sent to the dealer.

A strong positive point to the rust is that pot metal and aluminum don't rust so the parts must be steel.

I never fire a new gun without first disassembling, cleaning and lubricating it.

Consider also that the 10/22 doesn't not have anywhere near the fit and finish that the Remington does. High polish blue takes a lot of hand work compared to the relatively rough finish found on the 10/22 as does the finish on the stock. Esthetics have little to do with function but there are plenty of people who still think guns should be handsome and are willing to pay for it.
Wisdom is Knowledge Shared

Sharpshooter Sheath Systems

BulRdr
Probationary Member
11-23-07 04:57 PM - Post#52888    

In response to Sharpshooter

Thanks for the comments...but i also have a ? bout the Marlin Model 60C I have bein studying this gun against the other two and i seem to e growing towards the marlin. anybody have any comments on the marlin?

Jess
Shooter/Master Member
11-24-07 01:06 AM - Post#52892    

In response to BulRdr

I have an older model 60. ALL are good firearms, just depends what you want. Sharps makes some good points. The Remington is a pretty gun and if that's important to you, then go for it. The Marlin is more economy grade but perfectly reliable and functional. The Ruger is reliable/accurate but only 10rd mag as rule of thumb. It also has lots of accessories out there. For most of my guns, I like looks and quality. For .22s, I just want functional and accurate. The only reason I bought the Remington was because it's for lefties. I have 4 .22s and don't plan on buying one anytime soon. If I do, I'll probably go with the Ruger and put a nice scope on it.

BulRdr
Probationary Member
11-25-07 03:12 PM - Post#52984    

In response to Jess

I preciate that help any more suggestions on .22 rifles of any sort. Favorites that you would suggest on looking at?

imp
Shooter/Master Member
11-27-07 02:25 PM - Post#53083    

In response to BulRdr

Find you an old Winchester Model 63, and you will have a REAL .22LR in your hands!

Discontinued production over 40 years ago, +or-, and getting harder to find, though.

Receiver milled from a solid block of steel, loads in the stock, bolt may be locked open, original finish of metal and stock was superb. imp

Today, no place exists on the face of this Earth devoid of regulations imposed upon human freedom. (anonymous)

Anonymous? No longer possible. Information Revolution has seen to that.

ericstricklin
Shooter/Master Member
12-02-07 04:54 PM - Post#53286    

In response to imp

I had a Model 60 Con Train Limited Edition and it shot many a thousand rounds reliably before I finally turned it into a worthless pile of junk. When I say "many a thousand" I mean like 10s of thousands.

Mossy has the .22 Plinkster I've heard some good things about them.

I have a Henry lever action that I adore and a Savage bolt action that is really accurate.

I think if I were going to buy an auto it would be a 10/22 or a Model 60.

Jess
Shooter/Master Member
12-03-07 01:12 AM - Post#53297    

In response to ericstricklin

Stay away from Plinksters. They are Marlin clones - and not very good ones. They are made in Brazil and quality is low. Cheap metal bracket in reciever acts as extractor and is hit - miss. Magazines are so-so as well, some work - some don't. They are also very difficult to disassemble - easy to break something.

Rex
Probationary Member
02-05-09 09:53 AM - Post#75855    

In response to Jess

Taurus makes a replica winchester 63 thats around $300 the one I saw was really nice with some the nicest wood Ive ever seen on a .22 and its made of steel not plastic & aluminum!

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.099 seconds.   Total Queries: 203   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 07:30 AM