and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost"
~ Robert Frost
Recent Topics
Tagging
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Remington 597 Problems        (Topic#7035)
punkndisorderly
Shooter/Member
01-27-08 12:59 PM - Post#57175    

Bought a Remington 597 today (new) and went to the range with the wife. Bought it mostly for her since my single shot target .22 was too tedious for her to fire.

It's giving me a misfire about one round in 10 with CCI greentag and Federal Champion high velocity. It will eject the spent case fine, chamber the next round fine. When the trigger is pulled on the round that misfires, the pull seems odd, almost like pulling with the safety on. When the misfired round is exctracted, you can see where the firing pin is hitting the case, but weakly. Rather than the normal dent, it looks much smaller and more shallow. We went through 250 or 300 rounds with one misfire every magazine or 2.

What's odd is that the round before and after both fire normally and it seems to only happen once per magazine.

Any ideas on the cause (and hopefully a solution)? What are the chances it is caused by newness and will function fine once broken in? The store I purchased it from has a no return policy, so I'm stuck with it, like it or not.

Also, out of the box (literally right out of the box) the front sight windage screw was completely loose. The front sight would slide side to side just by shifting the rifle. Great quality control Remington. I got a chuckle when I read the manual and it said it was factory sighted for 100 meters.

That said, if I can get the misfires to go away, I think I'll like the rifle. Seems to be more accurate (once the windage screw was tightened down) than the 10/22 or Mossberg plinkster I owned in the past.

Edited by punkndisorderly on 01-27-08 01:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RGR
Shooter/Master Member
01-27-08 03:05 PM - Post#57186    

In response to punkndisorderly

Call Remington is my thinking. They should honor it, though I wouldnt expect a real whippy turnaround.

It doesnt sound like much more than maybe a weak spring, or a rough surface causing the FP to drag perhaps, most any real gunsmith should be able to cure it with little worry.

The tip of the FP might just need some reshaping is another possible.

At least give Remington a call. RGR

punkndisorderly
Shooter/Member
01-28-08 01:14 AM - Post#57210    

In response to RGR

I gave it a cleaning/oiling last night. I found something on the internet from someone with a similar problem. For them, it was the bolt not going completely forward causing the firing pin to be too far from the case to impact it fully. They said paying particular attention to oiling the rails cured the problem. We'll see if that works. If not, I'll give it a few hundred more rounds to break in.

If not, I'll be calling Remington. It's just such a hassel right now since I'm working 8-10 hour days, 6 days a week and calling from work is verboten. I'm suprised that they had no email contact (at least that I could find) anywhere on their site.

Normally I clean and oil a new gun before going to the range. This time I didn't. I just sprayed a little break free on the rails.

RGR
Shooter/Master Member
01-28-08 07:50 AM - Post#57220    

Well, that could cause it too. I am sure that they are leaving the factory with burrs, and roughness not found in vintage weapons.

It wouldnt take much of a rough spot, to hold the bolt back a couple of thou, and cause misfires.

Maybe shooting it some more, will break it in.

punkndisorderly
Shooter/Member
02-03-08 09:50 AM - Post#57798    

In response to RGR

Well, after a good cleaning and mounting a scope, I headed back to the range today and ran another 150 rounds through. The problem is not only still there, it's gotten worse. It jams on the second round out of the magazine almost every magazine full. It seems to not be cocking after firing and ejecting the first round.

After racking the slide to eject the misfire, it will fire the next round normally and the FTF's are much less common. If you load the magazine with only two rounds, it will still FTF on round number two most of the time. Interestingly, even though it doesn't seem to be cocking or firing on that second round, the ejected round has a small dent from the firing pin.

It's also developed two new problems! The last shot bolt hold open is failing half of the time. That's just a minor annoyance, but still frustrating on a new rifle.

The sencond new problem: SLAMFIRES. After a little over 100 rounds today: popop. I'd never experienced this before and thought I might be imagining it. A magazine or two later, it happened again, then a third time.

Totally frustrated, I headed home. Guess I'll have to spend my lunch half-hour talking to Remington on the phone. Then I'll have to ship it to them on my dime, wait forever to for repairs, and maybe have a functioning firearm down the road. I wish I had sprung the extra $40 for the 10/22. I'm almost tempted to cut my losses and put it in the closet.

Unless customer service really does something above and beyond, I don't think I'll ever buy another Remington.

Edited by punkndisorderly on 02-03-08 09:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

burden
Shooter/Master Member
02-03-08 09:56 AM - Post#57799    

I have the same prblems with my 597 it just collects dust now and I went out and get a 10-22 I think I am going to use it as target practice one of these days by far the worst firearm I ever spent money on

RGR
Shooter/Master Member
02-03-08 11:17 AM - Post#57809    

In response to burden

Thats too bad. I have never worked on one, I am just going on general gunsmith knowledge, that would apply to most any 22 semi auto rifle.

Magazines might cause feeding issues, but they normally wouldnt cause FTF issues.
Now, one, greentag is target ammo as I recall, thats low velocity, but the Fed stuff should function it, but that doesnt explain the misfires.

Whats really sad, is that the old classic "plastic" gun, the 66, was really neat gun, very reliable, just dont take one apart. I have made "lunch money" more than once, on re assy when the guy came in with, "my son took this gun apart" story .

Again, at least give Rem a call, or go hard ball with the place you bought it, and talk to the store manager, or perhaps even his boss.

there is just too many liability issues around these days, to have them blow off a gun issue like that.

for sure, the Ruger is hard to beat. There were old classics that would match it, the Browning 22 auto, or the old 63 win, I think thats the right model number, but either of them, are going to run a guy 500 and up these days.

Sharpshooter
02-04-08 08:09 AM - Post#57876    

WOAH BACK THERE HOSS!!!!

• Quote:
Totally frustrated, I headed home. Guess I'll have to spend my lunch half-hour talking to Remington on the phone. Then I'll have to ship it to them on my dime, wait forever to for repairs, and maybe have a functioning firearm down the road. I wish I had sprung the extra $40 for the 10/22. I'm almost tempted to cut my losses and put it in the closet.

Unless customer service really does something above and beyond, I don't think I'll ever buy another Remington.

Do you know why Rolls Royce and Ferrari provide a warranty with their cars?

Because they know that something can go wrong and they want make it right.

You bought a mass produced rifle for less than $200. The people who make cars costing more than 1000 times that accept the possibility of a malfunction.

Step one (after you chill out) would be to go back to where you bought the rifle. Depending on what sort of place they are and their inventory/policy, THEY should either send the rifle back to Remington for warranty repair or simply replace it so you have a rifle while they wait for it to be returned.

I will tell you flatly, if you walk in with the attitude reflected by your post or call the manufacturer like that, you're not going to get much more than the bare minimum you are entitled to.

Remington has been around for a long time. The name predates Ruger by over a hundred years and I can assure you that Ruger has made their share of products that malfunction too.

The world would be a wonderful place if nobody ever made a mistake... except for the people who make erasers, they would be out of work.
Wisdom is Knowledge Shared

Sharpshooter Sheath Systems

tigger
Shooter/Master Member
02-04-08 12:10 PM - Post#57896    

In response to Sharpshooter

I agree, if the shop you bought it from wont give you satisfaction, talk to Remington calmly, explain your problem and I am sure it will be resolved.

Remington is a manufacturer of extreme repute, they only get that way by making good firearms, and backing them up after sale, not by saying you bought it, too bad.

If the shop that sold it is an authorised dealer, and they dont give you satisfaction when approched with consideration, let remington know. I am sure they demand a certain level of service from their dealers.
politics didnt work for me, kissing hands and shaking babies is less than its cut out to be.

punkndisorderly
Shooter/Member
02-04-08 01:20 PM - Post#57908    

In response to tigger

Unfortunatly, since there is no gun store in town and I haven't been able to find one yet close by, I purchased at Academy Sports. They have a strict no return problem. They also suffer from the problem most big box stores have: none of their employees know crap about what they are selling.

Right now I'm pulling 11 hour days at work, six days a week, so getting this resolved may have to wait for a month or so. I don't relish spending my lunch talking to customer service and then another lunch to ship it.

I'll post again once I make the call and let you guys know how it goes. As long as this rifle has been on the market, I would think they'd have ironed out the bugs by now.

tigger
Shooter/Master Member
02-04-08 03:32 PM - Post#57919    

as in any manufactured product, there are tolerances, sometimes they line up just right and make and absolutely perfect firearm, sometimes they dont.

I understand your frustration, email them, at least there is reliable overnight communication.

refer them to this post, they will see the importance of the issue.
politics didnt work for me, kissing hands and shaking babies is less than its cut out to be.

RGR
Shooter/Master Member
02-04-08 03:39 PM - Post#57923    

Well, that will give you time to write letters to CEOs, and register them at that. Emails? heck, they can always deny that they got them.

You dont have to un load your anger at them, but frustration should be felt is my honest opinion.

this reminds me, I need to call Galazan AGAIN tomorrow, and relate them some frustration I am feeling.

tigger
Shooter/Master Member
02-04-08 03:41 PM - Post#57925    

In response to RGR

dang, in this modern age I forgot about the good old post office, good idea.

Spit Leadbetter
Shooter/Master Member
02-05-08 07:36 AM - Post#57984    

Try a different magazine before you do anything else.

Old gunsmiths know that is the number one cause of most semi-auto Failure to Feed problems.

If that does not work, then by all means call Remington. They are absolutely wonderful to work with, based on my experience with them. Be polite, explain the problem succinctly, and they will tell you what they will do for you.

QuintoJIm
Probationary Member
04-08-08 04:15 AM - Post#62086    

In response to Spit Leadbetter

I bought one of the first generation 597s. I found that you NEVER oil the guide rods. Only use dry lubricant i.e. graphite or moly spray. Secondly, the guide rods can be tootight,cuasing them to bow and cuase fte and ftf. If you don't have a torque wrench most guys go with tighten then back off 1/4 turn. Use only the metal magazines stay away from the plastic ones.
Good luck

Sharpshooter
04-08-08 12:51 PM - Post#62110    

In response to QuintoJIm

The last we heard on this issue was TWO months ago... any news or are we just going to leave this as a Remington Bash?
Wisdom is Knowledge Shared

Sharpshooter Sheath Systems

bornproud
Shooter/Master Member
04-20-08 03:44 PM - Post#62772    

In response to Sharpshooter

The remington 597 is one of the more common rifles that come to our shop to be repaired. They just suck!!!! I'm actually working on one right now.
I survived Roe Vs. Wade!!

RGR
Shooter/Master Member
04-21-08 04:45 AM - Post#62803    

In response to bornproud

What really too bad about that, is that the nylon 66 was one heck of a reliable gun all in all.

AFAIK, the 597s are heavy on the plastic, no?

Edited by RGR on 04-21-08 04:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

punkndisorderly
Shooter/Member
04-26-08 01:15 AM - Post#63073    

In response to QuintoJIm

First, I appologize for not posting sooner. I recently started a new job and free time has been at a premium.

Now, a little update. I got two new magazines from Remmington a few weeks ago in the mail. I've had it out to the range twice since then and the problem seems to have been mostly fixed by the new magaznines.

The first time out with the new magazines, I fired about 150 rounds of Green Tag, Federal Target, and Federal Champion. The malfunctions declined drastically. I still had a few failure to fire's, but much fewer than before. I experienced no slam-fires or "machine gunning". I still had a few instances where the rifle didn't seem to fully ******* resulting in a light primer strick and a FTF.

Last weekend, I returned to the range and ran another 250 rouns through it. The malfunctions seemed to reapear with one magazine. While one magazine functioned flawlessly for 80 rounds, the other still seemed to be having FTF problems and I got one slam fire. I focused on the magazine with problems and malfuncitons seemed to decline as it broke in and after 120 rounds through it, the last 50 rounds were fired with only one weak primer strike.

I'm headed back to the range with the wife this weekend (weather permitting) and intend to really give it a workout with 500 rounds from several different makers.

Something that may have been an issue. I wasn't loading the magazines to full capacity. Rather, I was loading only 8-9 rounds since getting the last round or two into a new magazine is a real finger buster. The feeding issues on the new magazines seemed to subside when I began fully loading them. Perhaps that helped them break in.

Also of interest, the new magazines did not look to be of an older design. They look identical to the one that came with the rifle as well as the extra one I purchased. According to what I could find on rimfirecentral.com, all of them were of the "3rd generation" type (with larger base and no 22lr on base plate".

While it's seems to be much better now, it's far from the reliability I experienced with the other .22 autoloaders I owned in the past (10/22 and an ancient Mossberg Plinkster). At some point I intend to take it to a gunsmith and have them look over it as well as having them lighten up the VERY heavy trigger pull.

RGR
Shooter/Master Member
04-26-08 06:20 AM - Post#63081    

Pure and simple, the slam fires are in no way connected to the magazines.

Feeding yes, slam fires no. A slam fire should not even happen on a new gun, that "needs breaking in".

Breaking in, is one of the lames excuses out there. They dont need breaking in, they need more detail in fit and finishing at the factory.

Lax quality may be done to cut costs, but we should not be conned into thinking that its correct and proper to have to "break a gun in" before expecting it to function.

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 2.854 seconds.   Total Queries: 327   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 04:49 AM