GunForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the gun enthusiast

Current Quote
""Be more prompt to go to a friend in adversity than in prosperity."
~ Chilo"
~ Chilo
Recent Topics
Tagging
Username Post: Concealed carry and jogging? is it possible?        (Topic#7742)
AfterGlock
Probationary Member
05-19-08 03:30 PM - Post#64107    

I recently started jogging and i have a concealed carry permit. My question is, Is there a safe and comfortable way to carry a firearm while jogging? The gun i would be carrying is a Ruger LCP 380.

Spit Leadbetter
Shooter/Master Member
05-19-08 05:12 PM - Post#64112    

In response to AfterGlock

• AfterGlock Said:
My question is, Is there a safe and comfortable way to carry a firearm while jogging?

YES!

Order yourself a "Belly Band" from Action Direct.

James41
Shooter/Master Member
05-20-08 02:44 AM - Post#64116    

Or you might check out a Smart Carry holster. It works very well for the smaller guns.

Roland
Shooter/Master Member
05-20-08 09:42 AM - Post#64118    

How about a fanny pack?
Hann Til Ragnarekg

SamW
Shooter/Master Member
05-20-08 10:08 AM - Post#64119    

In response to Roland

I would stay away from a fanny pack. Due to that they have a tendency to flop around when running. That and everyone KNOWS that either you are carrying, or you brought your make-up along for touch ups.

I know because I used to use them for a couple years. I tried several models and yet everyone could tell I was armed (or assumed).

The idea behind concealed carry is that it isn’t obvious. Some state laws frown on imprinting (visible outline of a gun to be seen through clothing).
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

~Abraham Lincoln

James41
Shooter/Master Member
05-20-08 12:25 PM - Post#64124    

In response to SamW

With the Smart Carry and the smaller gun you won't know if it is there. Just wear a dark pair of sweats or even shorts that are a size bigger than needed and your own wife won't know for sure.

quangvang
Shooter/Master Member
05-20-08 03:10 PM - Post#64127    

In response to James41

or you could just do what my sweetheart's dad does sometimes. get a good sling and wear your rifle on your back.

seriously though, dont ever do that.
"Here we are, the dead. We die again, but this time to truly live." -Emiliano Zapata

twyst
Shooter/Master Member
05-22-08 06:04 AM - Post#64174    

In response to quangvang

You're already running. That's probably your best defense! I have seen a variety of belly band holsters and tank top holsters, but they generally are not formed holsters and generally don't have any retention. I would want a detention device for running. I figure the most effective attack against a runner would start with knocking you down. Otherwise you would just run away. In a slip in holster I would worry that a knockdown attack would send the weapon sliding across the ground.

Remember, though, being armed is no excuse to put yourself in a dangerous situation. You should still be running in well-lit public places during popular running times. Running through bad neighborhoods at 11pm and justifying it because you have a gun is bad policy. Also it would not sound good on the stand as a defendant.

twyst
Shooter/Master Member
05-22-08 06:05 AM - Post#64175    

In response to twyst

I agree on the fanny pack. Nothing screams gun to me louder than a man wearing a black fanny pack.

It also screams lazy gun owner.

AfterGlock
Probationary Member
05-22-08 02:41 PM - Post#64189    

In response to twyst

These are all great ideas, thank you so much to those of you who have responded. I did look at a website that had a video of the smart carry holster but my concern there is that while running the gun would slip out, not to mention if i get knocked down. I also ran across a thigh holster that has a strap that goes across the top of the gun which brings me to my next question. What do you guys think of a thigh holster while running? I usually jog in the early morning and it tends to be cool so i wear sweat pants which i think would hide the gun well. I have a belly band but the thing is uncomfortable and doesn't have enough tension on the gun.

Spit Leadbetter
Shooter/Master Member
05-22-08 05:39 PM - Post#64194    

My belly band from Action Direct came with a velcro strap that goes over the gun on both sides of the band. I have worn it jogging many times without a problem. If your belly band does not have the velcro strap, it's easy to buy velcro in the homewares dept of Wally World.

James41
Shooter/Master Member
05-22-08 09:40 PM - Post#64197    

I don't run, but have never had my gun come loose in the Smart Carry. Like Spit says, get a strip of Velcro and attach it to the Smart Carry that would solve that problem. A slightly large pair of sweats will hide it real well.

twyst
Shooter/Master Member
05-23-08 04:21 AM - Post#64202    

In response to James41

I'd be concerned about the motion of jogging knocking a thigh holster down you leg. I can't keep an ankle holster from sliding down to my shoe while walking.

I think if you had a belly band or shirt with, or were willing to add, velco that may be your best bet.

Of course you could wear two guns in ankle holsters as running weights!

SIGMOJO
Probationary Member
05-23-08 05:11 AM - Post#64206    

In response to twyst

I prefer the "thunderwear" sytem. Funny name but cool product.It doesn't bounce like the fanny packs and it's great for everyday wear. check it out at the website : www.thunderwear.com

Edited by SIGMOJO on 05-23-08 05:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

leprachuan45
Shooter/Master Member
05-23-08 06:05 AM - Post#64207    

In response to SIGMOJO

how about an ankle holster. I realize if you where shorts it wouldn't work, but if you wore jogging pants.

air gator
Probationary Member
12-09-09 01:56 PM - Post#88517    

Definitely. I purchase a holster called the PT-ONE made by Pistol Wear. I am so glad I found this one. It works excellent for running and I think that is what is was designed for. I have been using it at least 3 times a week for a long time. I am very satisfied.

Their website is www.pistolwear.com

Hope that helps.

Tequila
Probationary Member
12-09-09 02:54 PM - Post#88522    

In response to air gator

The "Sahara Strider" from magills.com

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.468 seconds.   Total Queries: 273   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 04:08 PM