"Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost"
~ Robert Frost
Recent Topics
Tagging
Username Post: Meaning of "Destructive Device" in relation to FFL        (Topic#8492)
JArcher
Probationary Member
10-17-08 10:01 AM - Post#70673    

All, In researching for an FFL, I discovered that there is a huge pricing difference to the ATF between a "Destructive Device" vs. a "Non-Destructive Device" license. To obtain an FFL for the former costs $3,000 per/yr. To obtain a license under the latter only costs $200 per/yr. I can't find anything that definitively tells me the difference between the two. All I'm after is the ability to buy and sell firearms myself directly. Which is the license for me? Thanks.

leprachuan45
Shooter/Master Member
10-18-08 03:24 AM - Post#70699    

In response to JArcher

What you want is the non-destructive or regular FFL. The destructive device is the Class 2 FFL. Thats if you were dealing in full automatic machine guns, certain shotguns that sort of thing. I believe you have to have the original FFL before you can even apply for the class 2. I'd say the regular FFL is what you want though

van robinson
Shooter/Master Member
10-18-08 09:01 AM - Post#70712    

In response to leprachuan45

I thought it was class 3 for full auto guns.
I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. Ronald Reagan

http://www.AmericanGunOwners.net

locutus
10-18-08 12:46 PM - Post#70728    

In response to van robinson

• van robinson Said:
I thought it was class 3 for full auto guns.

It is class 3 for full auto guns. But the U.S. Code now makes a distinction between "guns" and "destructive devices."

An M-60 is a class 3 weapon. an RPG-7 is a "destructive device."

It's all in "TITLE 16" of the U.S.Code if your stomach is up to the task of wading through all that legalese krap.
Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you.

My heros wear dog tags

leprachuan45
Shooter/Master Member
10-18-08 04:39 PM - Post#70742    

In response to locutus

Yeah its class 3 fingers weren't hitting where I meant.

Sharpshooter
10-20-08 04:20 AM - Post#70801    

In response to leprachuan45

Ron, unless they moved destructive devices to an issue regarding conservation, it's not Title 16, it's in Title 18 Part 1.

Here's the definition according to the law:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 921

(4) The term “destructive device” means—

(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—

(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
(iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
(v) mine, or
(vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;

(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and

(C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.
Wisdom is Knowledge Shared

Sharpshooter Sheath Systems

locutus
10-20-08 05:55 AM - Post#70811    

In response to Sharpshooter

Yep, title 18. Hit the wrong key.
Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you.

My heros wear dog tags

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.665 seconds.   Total Queries: 155   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 02:43 PM