GunForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the gun enthusiast

Current Quote
""Be more prompt to go to a friend in adversity than in prosperity."
~ Chilo"
~ Chilo
Recent Topics
Tagging
Username Post: delay in gun purchase?        (Topic#8998)
seanjonsean
Probationary Member
01-04-09 06:21 AM - Post#74218    

hello all this is my first post on this great site, my query is has anyone had any prob on background check ? i went to purchase a 9mm sigma from a local outdoors place and they sed there was a delay in my checking , they sed they would contact me , should i worry? and what can i do besides wait? i had a d.u.i in 97 i paid my fine and did evrything properly and have never been in a ny trouble , any answers on this???

FA guy
Probationary Member
01-04-09 07:40 AM - Post#74222    

In response to seanjonsean

I get delayed every time I buy a firearm, but I have never been denied I assume it's just something some of us have to go through. Wait 6 days and call back or you can be like me and call the gun shop every three hours. Delays can be for alot of reasons I've been told its b/c of my security clearance, so if you've ever been in the armed forces or applied for a federal or state job you may have been under investigation causing a red flag to pop up. It could be b/c you got a DUI in 97. I'd bet money if thats your only offense you'll get your SIG.
When all else fails ask grandpa.

Missoura
Shooter/Master Member
01-04-09 11:04 AM - Post#74227    

I have purchase 20 some guns and never had a problem. But I have an unusual last name. I have heard that people that have the same name as a convicted felon are often delayed so they can check and verify that it isn't the felon trying to purchase the gun. Other times it is simply that the system is down or slow because of volume of technical problems. As long as you haven't been convicted of a felony then you will get the gun. The wait is just an in convince.
There is room for all of God's creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

albertR
Shooter/Master Member
01-04-09 11:27 AM - Post#74228    

In response to Missoura

I sell guns myself and have to deal with the NICS everyday. When you are delayed it is the common conception that either you have a very common last name, a name that is similar to a felons or you've had problems in your past. Though they do not even tell the seller why you the customer are delayed. Also if you do not provide a SSN it causes more mis identification problems. It usually takes less than a week for them to call back sometimes within minutes, or weeks. Also do call the store everyday because sometimes the gun seller will not call back either out of laziness or forgetfulness. I know that when I get a call back I write the info down and if I can call immediately. But most of the time I'm busy with a lot of customers and it slips my mind to later.

seanjonsean
Probationary Member
01-04-09 12:59 PM - Post#74230    

In response to albertR

well my name is rare in san antonio only my fam has it and its only three of us and yes my fam has been incarcrated well not all but one of them lol, or other stuff but not me except for d.u.i and i did my comunity service and paid a small fine and ive been clean since, and i did include my s.s.n , my boss told me hed get me a carry and conceal license for me since we work on a ranch im thinking should i have waited for license or not , well i hoipe i pass but i was thinking if i cant buy gun that means i prob cant get license either.... oh hey albert btw i was born in laredo tx

Edited by seanjonsean on 01-04-09 01:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

supermario
Probationary Member
01-04-09 07:14 PM - Post#74235    

it may be simply because your buying a handgun. I believe in Ohio there is a 3 day waiting period., does texas have anything similar ?
I recently purchased a select fire weapon and it took only minutes which felt like years, seen I did have an underage one my record ( i'm only 20 opps).
but when filling out the app was your race mandatory ? the guy at the sporting store told me it was and I felt a little uneasy about that question, why does the government need to know that one ? which is a half truth
you should be fine though as i think only felony's and domestic violence disqualify s' you

leprachuan45
Shooter/Master Member
01-05-09 03:42 AM - Post#74239    

In response to supermario

Unless its new Ohio doesn't have a three day waiting period. I'm sure I would have heard about it.

gunney
Probationary Member
01-05-09 05:17 AM - Post#74240    

This may not be the case, but If you buy
on sat there's alot of gun shows going on
and they may be processing thousands.
It could take hours to get approved...
Just a thought......

fubar214
Shooter/Master Member
01-05-09 10:16 AM - Post#74255    

• Quote:
I recently purchased a select fire weapon

Where can you be under 21 and purchase an NFA firearm?

• Quote:
Unless its new Ohio doesn't have a three day waiting period. I'm sure I would have heard about it.

Ohio has a three day waiting period on handguns.
When the mind fails to comprehend the body must be punished.

dannywiseman
Shooter/Master Member
01-05-09 10:33 AM - Post#74256    

In response to fubar214

Texas has no waiting period for handguns. If you are being delayed it's because either you have a record or they think you might. Either way if the person on the phone says wait, the store has to wait. Just call em up every day or so and ask about progress.

seanjonsean
Probationary Member
01-05-09 02:08 PM - Post#74283    

In response to dannywiseman

well no more wait i called at noon i i got it!! man it felt great to hear that i was aproved , the guy ses he had a call in the morning but didnt get around to calling me oh he sed i was just bout to call u , lol , well tanxz for the support guys, now wat before i fire it?? the manuel says to clean it what should i use???

supermario
Probationary Member
01-05-09 02:31 PM - Post#74288    

fubar214 - I was just talking about an semi automatic rifle, not fully, my bad for the miss understanding.

since his question is answered, will they make me wait for buying anthor rifle ? is there a max you can buy in a certain time frame
the gun in question is ether an ak-47 * I just got a 74* or an ar clone

btw it will be in ohio

seanjonsean
Probationary Member
01-05-09 03:16 PM - Post#74291    

how many rounds before i have to clean my new sigma?i work in the city but once aweek i go to my boss ranch and he has a shooting range there , i found a place in the city wer its ten bucks to shoot , but i wish i could set up a smaall place inmy garage but dont kno if it is legal to do that...

Edited by seanjonsean on 01-05-09 03:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

leprachuan45
Shooter/Master Member
01-05-09 05:32 PM - Post#74305    

I just checked with a buddy he bought a handgun 2 wks ago there isn't a waiting period for ohio.

albertR
Shooter/Master Member
01-05-09 05:53 PM - Post#74311    

In response to leprachuan45

At least in Texas on the form you are allowed to buy up to five at a time with a limit of five a week. But if you buy multiple pistols you have to fill out extra forms.

johnrunner89
Shooter/Master Member
01-05-09 05:58 PM - Post#74312    

In response to leprachuan45

I dont live in ohio but from what I read online they dont have a waiting period for handguns.

seanjonsean
Probationary Member
01-06-09 02:43 AM - Post#74314    

In response to johnrunner89

well it was purchased at an outdoor chain store , i was gona buy one from a independent dealer wich he sed they do the bk check and if they didnt get a response within 45 minutes hed sell me the gun anyway but if i went elsewhere that they would dely me and it mite take up to a month

fubar214
Shooter/Master Member
01-06-09 09:33 AM - Post#74325    

In response to johnrunner89

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/f/g unlaw_...

Read under 'other requirements', you'll find that there are waiting periods in Ohio. Apparently it isn't on a state level though. Everyone around my area complains about the waiting period, which is weird, because I live in a rural area with no more restrictions than what are imposed on a state or federal level.

• Quote:
I was just talking about an semi automatic rifle, not fully, my bad for the miss understanding.

Alright, just understand that 'select fire' means just that, the ability to select between semi-automatic and fully automatic or bursts.

There are no regulations on a state level in Ohio about the number of long guns you can purchase, so you could buy 20 AK's if you wanted.
When the mind fails to comprehend the body must be punished.

Edited by fubar214 on 01-06-09 09:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

leprachuan45
Shooter/Master Member
01-06-09 04:39 PM - Post#74351    

In response to fubar214

That's what I was wondering Toledo, Cinncy and maybe a few other bigger cities might have a waiting periods.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.771 seconds.   Total Queries: 298   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 03:44 AM