GunForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the gun enthusiast

Current Quote
"The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do.
"
~ John Holt
Recent Topics
Tagging
Username Post: How to ship ammunition ?        (Topic#9453)
shadowmorph
Probationary Member
03-05-09 06:43 PM - Post#77139    

Hey, I'm new here. Want to say hey to everyone first of all Second, I've tried to read the UPS Guide to shipping stuff (before someone tells me to go read that) and I'm a little unclear. Here's my situation:

I used to have an AK, but sold it awhile back. I went through my closet and realized that I have a LOT more 7.62 ammo laying around than I thought (a few thousand rounds). I want to sell it (like through GunBroker), but no clue on how to ship it (and if it costs that much more to do so, etc). Don't have an exact count yet (before someone asks). I'm located in the Dallas, TX area and just need some advice on how to ship the ammo legally.

wildwilly
Probationary Member
03-05-09 06:57 PM - Post#77142    

In response to shadowmorph

Talk to a local gun shop. They might even give you some ideas on how to get rid of it locally, without the hassle of selling it online.

If you were up here in the Seattle area, I'd tell you to take it to the next Washington Arms Collectors' (WAC) gunshow. Here you could sell it for full price in a matter of minutes. Probably the first person to see it who had the cash would buy all you have.

I have an SKS and 700 rounds of 7.62X39 that will be getting sold that way next weekend.

shadowmorph
Probationary Member
03-05-09 08:08 PM - Post#77143    

In response to wildwilly

Tried that and most of them just want to low ball me on the price. I don't want to have to cart it around and sell it to a dealer at a gun show or buy a table just for a few boxes of ammo. Surely someone here has shipped ammo before.

PAConstable1
Shooter/Master Member
03-06-09 11:49 AM - Post#77157    

UPS and FEDEX both ship ammunition.

I would recommand UPS since FEDEX charges an additional sircharge for ammunition.

Every time I have to ship ammunition I take the ammunition, sealed in a strong cardboard shipping box, directly to the nearest UPS location.
They just slap an address label and ORM-D sticker on it and send it on its way.
School teaches us the Precious Metals are Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium.
Life teaches us they're really Brass, Copper, Lead and Steel.

helorider
Shooter/Master Member
03-06-09 12:14 PM - Post#77158    

try putting it on craigslist and have local pickup.I've had good luck selling things thru them.
I won't be wronged,I won't be insulted,and I won't be laid hands on.I don't do these things to other peaple and I expect the same from them."
John Wayne as John Bernard Books
"The Shootist"

shadowmorph
Probationary Member
03-06-09 01:45 PM - Post#77165    

In response to PAConstable1

Okay, sounds good. I keep hearing horror stories of "HAZMAT training, etc." on everything I read about it.

Pack Rat
Probationary Member
03-08-09 01:32 AM - Post#77202    

You might also try backpage.com and select Dallas/Ft. Worth

It is similar to craigslist.
Guns and Knives, so subjective. You have to do what works for you!

DPris
Shooter/Member
03-08-09 08:01 AM - Post#77209    

In response to Pack Rat

Agree with PA Constable.
Fedex will charge a hazmat handling fee, UPS will not.
Package it securely, prominently label it ORMD and Small Arms Ammunition on the outside, do not try to be cute with UPS counter people by not labeling it or by telling them it's something else.
Aside from packaging it so it won't break up in transit & the labeling, no more of a hassle & no more expensive than shipping anything else via UPS.

Denis

Bigdaddy
Moderator/Master Member
03-08-09 09:29 AM - Post#77211    

In response to DPris

UPS or FEDEX Ground. More then 62 or 65 lbs and it has to ship via common carrier as LTL. Like Dpris said it must be marked with this hazardous label: ORM-D but does not have to be marked small arms ammo - that's like saying steal this box...
and it cannot be shipped loose packed; shipped in the original boxes, inside another box and sealed. I just sent 45 lbs of shotgun ammo to a friend in Jacksonville, FL from Michigan. I prefer FEDEX but the local hub is not a ground hub and I would have had to been home for the pickup. No extra charges other then insurance (my choice) but it is heavy...
Tim Hecht www.iwantthatknife.com

DPris
Shooter/Member
03-08-09 01:47 PM - Post#77222    

In response to Bigdaddy

Fedex told me it'd be a $30 hazmat surcharge regardless of how it shipped.
It's been my understanding for quite a while that
both ORMD & small arms ammunition labeling was required by both companies.
If the small arms ammunition requirement has changed (it's still on ammunition shipments that come in here), I may defer to that, but I stand firm on the ORMD.

And, labeling it as ammunition is no more of a theft flag than the ORMD, employees know what that means.

Denis

shadowmorph
Probationary Member
03-08-09 03:12 PM - Post#77226    

In response to DPris

From what I've read in the course of researching this, it seems that UPS is the best choice. Also, the ORM-D label is a DOT thing, not just a UPS or FedEx thing (meaning it's the law to label it that way). I appreciate all the help here. Maybe I can clear some of this out. I want to raise money to get myself another AK to replace mine (I sold my old SAM-7, wish I hadn't now, they are much more expensive now) or maybe a Jericho/Baby Eagle 9mm. If I can find someone to trade me, then I won't have to worry about selling it all individually, but that's a matter of luck.

DPris
Shooter/Member
03-08-09 06:11 PM - Post#77231    

By UPS & Fedex requirement I meant both will check to make sure the ORMD labeling is there, won't ship without it.
It is a federal thing.
Denis

Bigdaddy
Moderator/Master Member
03-09-09 07:07 AM - Post#77242    

In response to DPris

ORM-D: Other Regulated Materials - Domestic

There are other items then smallarms ammo that fall under ORM-D:

Examples of items classed ORM-D include:
Aerosol paint cans
Perfumes
Lighters
Small arms ammunition
Beer
Drain Openers for clogged sinks and tubs

Material marked ORM-D and shipped by surface transportation do not require hazardous shipping papers, simply an ORM-D Consumer Commodity marking on the box. This marking can either be in the form of a ORM-D sticker, or written by hand. If written by hand the letters "ORM-D" must be enclosed by a rectangle.

Ducati
Shooter/Master Member
03-10-09 08:25 AM - Post#77277    

In response to Bigdaddy

I just received a pack of 550 rounds of 22lr ammo from a seller on gunbroker. shipped it in the remmy box inside another brown box shipped usps..

Will

DPris
Shooter/Member
03-10-09 12:04 PM - Post#77289    

In response to Bigdaddy

Big,
This is one reason why I sometimes hesitate to post on these things.
You can toss each word I've written under the microscope & dissect it piece by piece if you choose. I'm aware that ORMD isn't restricted solely to ammunition.

Main idea is that UPS has consistently worked fine for me, ORMD is required on ammunition, the ammunition shipments I get from the ammo companies are labeled with both ORMD and Small Arms Ammunition/Cartridges, and Fedex does have a hazmat fee.

In shipping myself, I do both labels, I do not do the rectangle on handwritten ORMD (never had it mentioned although I frequently see it printed on the boxes), and I have never had any ammunition so marked stolen on the way out, nor am I aware of any being stolen on the way in.
Can it happen? Of course.

Being aware that counter people at both companies frequently don't know their own policies, make your own choices. If you deliberately mis-label or bypass their regulations in shipping guns or ammunition, you will have no recourse later if anything does turn up missing or damaged.
Follow the regs, and even if something goes astray, the company will cover it.

The only reason I got into this thread was because I do this stuff for a living & thought my experiences might be more useful than others guessing or passing on second-hand stories.

Denis

shadowmorph
Probationary Member
03-10-09 12:34 PM - Post#77290    

In response to DPris

Well, I appreciate the info. I'll definitely use UPS and ship with appropriate placard on there. As for the guy with .22, I know that I read that .22 can be shipped loose and such unlike other ammo.

Bigdaddy
Moderator/Master Member
03-10-09 02:06 PM - Post#77295    

Denis - I had 50,000 rounds of small arms ammo to ship privately two years ago so I too am very well versed on the shipment of ammo - wasn't trying to pick your post apart either - was sharing what I know. One of my primary duties that I did for 26 years in the Coast Guard was as a Transportation Officer which meant meaning shipment of things...we were both on the same page; in all the ammo I've bought and sent to me it was never marked small arms ammo.

DPris
Shooter/Member
03-10-09 02:41 PM - Post#77297    

In response to Bigdaddy

DOT Code Of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 173, 172.316a, Packaging Containing Material Classed As ORM-D:

"...must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material (Cartridges, Small Arms)."

That was as of 2003, in one reference I Googled.
It may have changed since then. In looking at some inventory, every box from Winchester still has that labeling. I have 5,000 rounds of .38 Special from Black Hills Ammunition waiting to be fired that is clearly and largely labeled on each 1,000-round case exactly what's in it.
I do have a box from Buffalo Bore that is only labeled ORMD.
Most boxes go out in the garbage, but I have another case of .45 Auto Rim from Black Hills with the Cartridges, Small Arms on it, and one from Remington labeled the same way.

I'll stick to it, takes very little time to do & I consider the risk of theft to be very minor.

Denis

Edited by DPris on 03-10-09 03:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PAConstable1
Shooter/Master Member
03-10-09 07:14 PM - Post#77302    

In response to DPris

If your really worried about theft then have it shipped "Adult Signature Required for Delivery".

In transit it is UPS's responsibility to protect it from theft.

By requiring someone to sign for it at delivery then it goes directly from the UPS Drivers hands to yours.

No lying around unattended, no chance of being stolen (barring a corupt UPS employee of course).
School teaches us the Precious Metals are Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium.
Life teaches us they're really Brass, Copper, Lead and Steel.

mrjkb
Probationary Member
03-26-09 01:42 AM - Post#77932    

Here is a great article that describes in detail how to ship ammunition and it explains the differences between using UPS, USPS, and FedEx. The proper marking is laid out and these guys worked with each shipping company to gain this info.

I also agree with having a signature required. That way UPS will not just drop it off at the door.
Avery Labels, Shipping Labels

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.969 seconds.   Total Queries: 310   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 05:39 AM